Stay In Touch

facebooktwitter

Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Other Side

There's a place, Lil' Big Head, on the other side. Where the sun shines through the leaves and there's enough breeze that I can chase after my tennis balls for hours on end. But, the air is warm enough that if I want to paddle away in the endless lakes, I can do that to. Dogs aren't mean to me anymore. My body can run as fast as my heart wants to. And, if I get going too fast and tumble, I can bounce right back up like I used to.

I know things here that I didn't know when I was next to our mom. I know our mom is still sometimes sad that I am not there and I hate it when people ask her all surprised "you still miss him?" Duh! I was by her side every day for almost fourteen years, of course she still misses me. The other stupid question that I see makes her cry is "you replaced your dog?" Dude, no one can replace me. And, I'd be pretty ticked off if I were in your paws too. If you and I were different dogs, we might consider biting them, eh?

I know she sometimes feels guilty for not being sad as much as she was. Please give her slobbery kisses from me so she knows I don't want her to feel sad. I want her to think of me and laugh at my practical jokes. She also needs to go out and explore like we used to. I can see so many amazing places from where I am, I want her to see them and tell me all about them when she gets here. I can wait.

She knows a lot more now about us dogs than she did when I was your age. I taught her so much. Tell her I loved teaching her all that stuff and to never, ever feel bad she didn't know it then. I know she feels me sometimes. When the cool wind blows through the trees as you walk next to her, I can see her smile. She knows it's really me giving her big, sloppy kisses. I remember seeing her sad one night while she rubbed your velvet ears and you stretched and snored. I saw her lighten the next morning after I left all those heart-shaped leaves for her on your morning walk. And, I know she thought it was a mouse at first; but she figured out it was me tickling her feet every now and then.

I went to that awful place too, twice! Once a dog tried to attack me and our mom was able to get him away. But then a second dog came at me and he was faster than our mom. He nailed me right in my manhood. I walked into the emergency room; wagging my tail so much that blood flew all over the place. It sure would have taken more than that to knock me down. I went another time too when mom thought I was having a seizure. Her friends Sheila and John rolled me up on my bed like a taco and helped her carry me down the stairs.

You are so lucky, it's not that hot this summer. Our walks last summer were short because man, was it steamy. Sometimes people asked our mom how old I was. Then they would ask, "how long do they live" then look at me with pity. I see her make the same disgusted face to people who make a dumb comment about you being a Pit Bull. Our neighbor Paul had a Pit Bull named Harper, he was a really cool dog. He and I would hang out the yard with Bentley, the Whippet and our parents. All three of us were the same age. Bentley met me at the gate here and I got to see his dad Brett not long before I crossed the bridge.

Brett never looked at me with pity, I liked him a lot. Paul too. Paul used to say my name real loud and excited over and over, it made me so happy my tail almost wagged off a couple of times. And, even though I was old, I was happy. Our mom may have cried more in my last year than she ever did but she always looked at me like the strong dog I always was and it helped keep me happy. No need to be sad little puppy. I know the cone sucks but before long, it will be gone and you will be back to rough housing with all your dog friends again.

I may be here and there at the same time but it's your job now to protect her like I did. There was a time she and I were walking and this lady lost control of her two dogs and they attacked me. I didn't get bitten but it was scary and boy, were they loud. Every time they would lunge at me, I jumped away just for a second and came back to mom to make sure she was ok. My job was to protect her and now it's your turn. You take good care of her down there.

I used to know she was going on a trip by all the bags laying around. I loved going to daycare or to stay at grandma's house when she did. As I got older, her friend Candice stayed with me a couple times but mostly I went with her when she packed her bags. She stopped taking trips the older I got and I was glad to have her at home more. I can see she's planning a big vacation and you will be going to play with dogs. You have fun. I'll watch over her for you.

Love,
Finn

2 comments:

ThinLizzie said...

Long live the love you have for little Finn.

Brandi Barker said...

Thank you!!! Giant hugs to Orca from me and lots of treats to your Chocolate Bomb who would not love my hugs but I have a giant crush on them both :)